Thursday, September 27, 2007

Ukigusa monogatari

Floating Weeds officially came into being today. Which is a good time to recount how it all happened.

Floating Weeds was conceived some time mid-January this year. It wasn’t called Floating Weeds then. The names the proud parents came up with then were Two/Timers and Daydreamers.

But I’m jumping ahead.

Let’s rewind back to April 2006. I’d just graduated from FTII and was at a crossroads. I wanted to make documentary films, but there wasn’t much of a living in it. I tried knocking the doors of news channels but none opened. There was an offer of an advertising job in Sri Lanka though, and I took it up for the experience of working and living in another country.

Six months into the job, I was disillusioned and frustrated with it. Luckily, Docedge, a documentary funding workshop in Calcutta happened just then, in January 2007. I attended with the script of a documentary film I was wanting to make. I didn’t find funds, but I gained the understanding that if I wanted to enjoy making films, I had to make them my own way. And the only way of doing that was by being on my own.

But I couldn’t do it all on my own. Making a film is a full-time job, seeking funds for it is another. I needed someone who could bring in skills I didn’t have, someone who was equally interested in films, someone who would be willing to risk a venture like this. One name popped automatically into mind. Vinoo.

Vinoo and I had met a couple of times at Contract Bangalore. But we only got to know each other much later when I visited Sajith in Chennai. Sajith used to be my flatmate in Bangalore, and he was then Vinoo’s flatmate in Chennai. Vinoo was interested in films, and just starting to build his now humungous DVD collection. I recommended a few titles to him and told him he must attend the Film Appreciation course at the Institute.

Two years later, April 2006 again, coincidentally, Vinoo quit his well-paying advertising job at McCann, when they refused to grant him leave to attend the FA course. He had been enjoying his prolonged vacation ever since, traveling, writing, watching films.

I called Vinoo up and outlined my plan to him. We join forces, and look for funds to make a couple of documentaries I had in mind. When the funds come in, we make the films. Till then, we get by, taking on freelance advertising assignments on the side. I was convinced it was practical. We’ll be Two/Timers, I told Vinoo. Or Daydreamers, he responded.

Vinoo seemed to like the idea, but he wasn’t completely convinced, I could tell. Though he said he was on, he wasn’t particularly enthused about it. Till two months later, in the course of an online chat, he asked, “When do we start, Chief?” We were on.

In April 2007, I returned back to India. We drew up plans on when to begin, where to set up office, how to manage till we get funds, what to call it. Neither of us was particularly happy with our respective working titles. But Floating Weeds still eluded us.

One of those days, we went looking to expand our DVD libraries to Moideen’s at Parsn’s Complex. Going through the cardboard cartons full of DVD’s, making our choices and discussing those we had already seen, we came upon Ozu’s Floating Weeds.

Ozu is one of the directors whose films I admire. I had seen Floating Weeds before. It tells the story of a traveling Kabuki troupe that drifts from village to village to eke out a living. It had struck me then that I was a Floating Weed myself, drifting from engineering to advertising to films. Vinoo was likewise drifting, and as I picked up the DVD, I knew we had found our name.

Since then, a few months have passed. We intended to start Floating Weeds on 7th June, Sajith’s birthday, a fitting date to start, since he brought us together. But we procrastinated. Vinoo had a few things to attend to in Bangalore, and I was lazily enjoying an extended break. True to our name, we would have let things drift a little more.

Deven, my former boss, however, willed otherwise. Joshi, an ex-colleague of his, was looking for documentary filmmakers to make a short corporate film for IBM. Deven recommended us to Joshi for the film, Joshi liked our work, and fought for us at Ogilvy for two months to get us the film.

Two weeks back, Joshi called to say we were being awarded the film. Since then, we’ve stepped up a few gears, meeting up with lawyers, accountants, production managers and interns to get both, Floating Weeds and the film, rolling.

Today, we start Floating Weeds, not as paupers as we had thought, but with a commission under our belt. More commissions will come our way, but our goal remains to make films we enjoy. Ultimately, we’d like Floating Weeds to be a collective of like-minded people, our friends and fellow drifters, pursuing our various interests on a commercial basis without compromising on what we enjoy doing. Is it utopian or practical? Watch this space.

16 comments:

poosha said...

congratulations!! hope you get to make exactly the kind of films you want to... many many of them.

Sumati Mattu said...

hey genius!
so good to hear that a dream is finally seeing the light of the day! i know u'll do great, being deeply passionate about something is almost always enough to keep u going (and u have vinoo additionally!)
god speed guys!

arri said...

well, congrats Kevin, and all the best... it is hugely coincidental that I happened to borrow the dvd of Floating Weeds from Shibani last week (whose docu I was editing)- yet to see it, but it's sitting right next to me here...
by the way, she loved your diploma film- Paplu had shown it to her some time back...
All the best again...

Subramaniam Avinash said...

way to go! i am so jealous and so happy for you guys - and believe me coming from a guy who's mixed about every single thing in life, that is possible.

Sanjay Panday said...

hey Kaevan. All the best brother. This calls for a celebration. I'll make sure I have you and Vinoo over to my place soon. Cheers!!!!

Unknown said...

Great news, Keavan. I am sure you guys are going to have a lovely journey - subu, fellow floating weed!!

Unknown said...

so i now get the hang of the floating weeds thing. excellent kaevan and sounds quite feasible. goes to show that a lot of us in the arts are into this sort of stuff- holding on to what we hold dear. i think it is quite feasible to have a loosely floated colony of artists, creative people and all that...supporting each other and their arts. i can say this for at least a couple of us from delhi-

AquaLady said...

Kaevan,

I am so glad that things have finally started the way you wanted them to. I am sure "Floating Weeds" will be a HUUUUUUGE SUCCESS. All the very best to both of you.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

- Harsha

poonam said...

many congratulations and many wishes for a great future and great many films! godspeed, yes!

poonam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Two guys, disillusioned with their current work, meet up, drift a bit then dump their well paying jobs to follow their passions... and start a film company (some people I know would have turned to crime).
Sounds like a plot.
Way to go guys.

Kayomarz said...

Congrats Kaevan! Very happy to hear this. Wish you, Vinoo and Floating Weeds Good Luck.

Unknown said...

Congrats Boss!!! I'll be in touch with da project.

Congrats from all of us in Sri Lanka.

Rajesh said...

Congarts, and all the best..........

Ashok said...

Hey Vinoo,
Congratulations bud! Havent seen "Floating Weeds" the movie as yet...but shall do so pronto! All the best in your new "Ad" venture....and hope you make hard-hitting documentaries that live through the ages...! Something about the soul of your "biographies" made me think of Henri Charrière's Papillion....I also think his tatoo would make an awesome logo for u guys......!!
Keep it real buddy!
Cheers
Ashok

Unknown said...

Well still waiting for your film long time after thaiyam